Is it necessary to have an interpreter at your wedding in Italy?

Did you know that a professional interpreting service is mandatory at the civil wedding ceremony for non-Italian speakers who want to get married in Italy? Some Italian municipal authorities even require the interpreter’s name at the time of your reservation, to allow you to reserve the town hall for the date on which you wish to get married.

What do you have to do to book a wedding ceremony at a town hall in Italy?

The bride and groom shall send the municipal authorities the copies of their identification documents, the name and documents of the witnesses (e.g. bestman), the copy of the interpreter’s ID (if required prior to the reservation, otherwise you may provide it later). The Italian Consulate shall send proxy for the wedding celebration, along with the publication certificate.

The wedding date must be previously agreed with the municipal office, and the hall for the wedding ceremony shall be reserved. The price may vary from approximately €250 to €1,200, depending on the city, date, and time chosen. Obviously, the most famous art cities, where everybody dreams of getting married, like Rome or Florence, receive a higher number of requests and have higher rates than smaller towns, even though many Italian towns can offer an extremely evocative scenery.

Can the witnesses not be Italian and avail themselves of the interpreter?

The witnesses do not need to be Italian, as long as they understand the language in which the ceremony is celebrated – That is, either Italian or the language in which the interpreter will translate. The Italian municipal officers will provide you upon demand with a form to be filled in and to be sent along with the documents listed above, which are necessary for the marriage deed.

If you need an interpreter for your wedding in Italy in English, Spanish, Portuguese, or French, do not hesitate to contact me by Whatsapp at +39 3336841604 or by email at